Network/Internet Routing problem to Berkeley from some of Europe


log in

Advanced search

Message boards : Number crunching : Network/Internet Routing problem to Berkeley from some of Europe

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 . . . 13 · Next
Author Message
Profile Tigher
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 18 Mar 04
Posts: 1547
Credit: 760,577
RAC: 0
United Kingdom
Message 99597 - Posted: 16 Apr 2005, 13:52:58 UTC
Last modified: 16 Apr 2005, 13:54:32 UTC

Im just thought I would summarise a few threads from the problem boards. Since Feb 14th a number of French, Dutch and Belgian BOINCERS have have had huge connection problems to UC Berkeley for SETI. There appears to be a routing issue somewhere in USA and probably within Cogentco.com network. For those interested there are trace routes and the like on the problem pages. I can provide more info if folk need to know. I have emailed cogentco.com and David Anderson (not sure where to bring these matters to Berkeley technical people - tell me if you know please). The problem manifests itself as a failure to connect to a scheduler and deferred comms. It never connects after that and some folk have waited over a month to contact a scheduler. Thought you might all want to know especially as new users switching from classic to BOINC now might get a bit disenchanted. All is known to be Ok so far in Sweden and UK so far.
____________

Profile Saenger
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 3 Apr 99
Posts: 2452
Credit: 20,073
RAC: 0
Germany
Message 99600 - Posted: 16 Apr 2005, 14:10:52 UTC

I'll put my post from over @Help Desk here as well:

I just read this over at the Folding fora:

Professor Pande,

It seems Cogent, Stanford's main ISP for the commercial internet, and France Telecom are no longer on speaking terms. If you'd like to post this to your forum site, perhaps some of your French users could lean on France Telecom to re-peer with Cogent. They're much more likely to listen to their own customers than to us at Stanford. It's also possible that this will work itself out over the weekend. I'll keep you posted if anything changes.

Thanks,

ITSS


As Cogent is also the main provider here @Berkeley, it could be the same problem.

P.S.: I hope the thread is readable for non-FAH participants ;)

____________
Gruesse vom Saenger

For questions about Boinc look in the BOINC-Wiki

Profile [AF>France>Ouest]SetiOne
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 16 Feb 00
Posts: 18
Credit: 2,125,553
RAC: 519
France
Message 99602 - Posted: 16 Apr 2005, 14:14:34 UTC - in response to Message 99597.

> Im just thought I would summarise a few threads from the problem boards. Since
> Feb 14th a number of French, Dutch and Belgian BOINCERS have have had huge
> connection problems to UC Berkeley for SETI. There appears to be a routing
> issue somewhere in USA and probably within Cogentco.com network. For those
> interested there are trace routes and the like on the problem pages. I can
> provide more info if folk need to know. I have emailed cogentco.com and David
> Anderson (not sure where to bring these matters to Berkeley technical people -
> tell me if you know please). The problem manifests itself as a failure to
> connect to a scheduler and deferred comms. It never connects after that and
> some folk have waited over a month to contact a scheduler. Thought you might
> all want to know especially as new users switching from classic to BOINC now
> might get a bit disenchanted. All is known to be Ok so far in Sweden and UK so
> far.
>
Hi
It's the same problem ?

Since yesterday i want to join scheduler for send WU from my 4 PC but it's always defering because "not scheduler responded at ..." I have many Wu waiting. I have update on one of the 4 PC with boinc in 4.25 then 4.30 but nothing better.

I have change URL in the xml files for the scheduler :
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/
or
http://setiboincdata.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah_cgi/cgi
or http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah_cgi/cgi

and now i don't now what is the good !!!

PS excuse for my poor english i'm french ;-)
____________
********************
<img src="http://www.boincstats.com/signature/user_132726.gif" border="0">

Profile Saenger
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 3 Apr 99
Posts: 2452
Credit: 20,073
RAC: 0
Germany
Message 99607 - Posted: 16 Apr 2005, 14:22:08 UTC - in response to Message 99602.

> PS excuse for my poor english i'm french ;-)
>

Je n'ai parler francais ;)
So I can assure you, you're readable, more than me in french.

I think, it could be that problem. Have you read the threads over @FAH yet?
____________
Gruesse vom Saenger

For questions about Boinc look in the BOINC-Wiki

Profile Tigher
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 18 Mar 04
Posts: 1547
Credit: 760,577
RAC: 0
United Kingdom
Message 99608 - Posted: 16 Apr 2005, 14:22:09 UTC - in response to Message 99602.

> > Im just thought I would summarise a few threads from the problem boards.
> Since
> > Feb 14th a number of French, Dutch and Belgian BOINCERS have have had
> huge
> > connection problems to UC Berkeley for SETI. There appears to be a
> routing
> > issue somewhere in USA and probably within Cogentco.com network. For
> those
> > interested there are trace routes and the like on the problem pages. I
> can
> > provide more info if folk need to know. I have emailed cogentco.com and
> David
> > Anderson (not sure where to bring these matters to Berkeley technical
> people -
> > tell me if you know please). The problem manifests itself as a failure
> to
> > connect to a scheduler and deferred comms. It never connects after that
> and
> > some folk have waited over a month to contact a scheduler. Thought you
> might
> > all want to know especially as new users switching from classic to BOINC
> now
> > might get a bit disenchanted. All is known to be Ok so far in Sweden and
> UK so
> > far.
> >
> Hi
> It's the same problem ?
>
> Since yesterday i want to join scheduler for send WU from my 4 PC but it's
> always defering because "not scheduler responded at ..." I have many Wu
> waiting. I have update on one of the 4 PC with boinc in 4.25 then 4.30 but
> nothing better.
>
> I have change URL in the xml files for the scheduler :
> http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/
> or
> http://setiboincdata.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah_cgi/cgi
> or http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah_cgi/cgi
>
> and now i don't now what is the good !!!
>
> PS excuse for my poor english i'm french ;-)
>

You can test this if you want. From a DOS box/command prompt type tracert setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu . If that last line of the the route is the IP address at Berkeley 66.28.250.125 then you are successfully reaching the server. If your tracert times out and does not give you this IP then my guess is that you are affected.
____________

Profile Tigher
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 18 Mar 04
Posts: 1547
Credit: 760,577
RAC: 0
United Kingdom
Message 99615 - Posted: 16 Apr 2005, 14:39:36 UTC
Last modified: 16 Apr 2005, 14:42:33 UTC

Excuse my poor English......I'm English lol and I can't type either!
____________

Profile [AF>France>Ouest]SetiOne
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 16 Feb 00
Posts: 18
Credit: 2,125,553
RAC: 519
France
Message 99624 - Posted: 16 Apr 2005, 14:51:52 UTC - in response to Message 99615.

> Excuse my poor English......I'm English lol and I can't type either!
>
Merci beaucoup !


I have make a traceroute and the (no) response is :

1 16 ms 192.168.0.1 - - -
2 31 ms 193.253.171.227
3 31 ms 10.224.27.146
4 47 ms 193.252.103.150 pos2-1.nrsta304.Paris.francetelecom.net
5 47 ms 193.251.126.50
6 140 ms 193.251.242.98 P2-0.OAKCR2.Oakhill.opentransit.net
7 125 ms 193.251.243.89 P1-0.ASHCR1.Ashburn.opentransit.net
8 125 ms 144.223.246.21 sl-st21-ash-15-3.sprintlink.net
9 125 ms 129.250.9.53 p16-0-1-1.r21.asbnva01.us.bb.verio.net
10 141 ms 129.250.2.131 p16-2-0-0.r81.asbnva01.us.bb.verio.net
11 * * no response * - - -
12 * * no response * - - -
13 * * no response * - - -
14 * * no response * - - -
15 * * no response * - - -
16 * * no response * - - -
17 * * no response * - - -
18 * * no response * - - -

!@&"#!! in french in the texte ;-)
____________
********************
<img src="http://www.boincstats.com/signature/user_132726.gif" border="0">

Profile Tigher
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 18 Mar 04
Posts: 1547
Credit: 760,577
RAC: 0
United Kingdom
Message 99631 - Posted: 16 Apr 2005, 14:57:54 UTC - in response to Message 99624.
Last modified: 16 Apr 2005, 14:59:55 UTC

> > Excuse my poor English......I'm English lol and I can't type either!
> >
> Merci beaucoup !
>
>
> I have make a traceroute and the (no) response is :
>
> 1 16 ms 192.168.0.1 - - -
> 2 31 ms 193.253.171.227
> 3 31 ms 10.224.27.146
> 4 47 ms 193.252.103.150 pos2-1.nrsta304.Paris.francetelecom.net
> 5 47 ms 193.251.126.50
> 6 140 ms 193.251.242.98 P2-0.OAKCR2.Oakhill.opentransit.net
> 7 125 ms 193.251.243.89 P1-0.ASHCR1.Ashburn.opentransit.net
> 8 125 ms 144.223.246.21 sl-st21-ash-15-3.sprintlink.net
> 9 125 ms 129.250.9.53 p16-0-1-1.r21.asbnva01.us.bb.verio.net
> 10 141 ms 129.250.2.131 p16-2-0-0.r81.asbnva01.us.bb.verio.net
> 11 * * no response * - - -
> 12 * * no response * - - -
> 13 * * no response * - - -
> 14 * * no response * - - -
> 15 * * no response * - - -
> 16 * * no response * - - -
> 17 * * no response * - - -
> 18 * * no response * - - -
>
> !@&"#!! in french in the texte ;-)
>

Ah..... pas de chance! You are affected by this. Sorry. Hope it gets fixed soon for you. Could you write this problem up in French perhaps for those who come and read it from France and Belgium etc?????? Ian :)
____________

Profile [AF>France>Ouest]SetiOne
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 16 Feb 00
Posts: 18
Credit: 2,125,553
RAC: 519
France
Message 99633 - Posted: 16 Apr 2005, 15:01:14 UTC - in response to Message 99607.

> > PS excuse for my poor english i'm french ;-)
> >
>
> Je n'ai parler francais ;)
> So I can assure you, you're readable, more than me in french.
>
> I think, it could be that problem. Have you read the threads over @FAH yet?
>
Exactly i have read all post and it's that i have "wanadoo" (France telecom) as provider !! All is IP are blocked !!
I try with a proxy

Thank you all for your help
____________
********************
<img src="http://www.boincstats.com/signature/user_132726.gif" border="0">

Profile [AF>France>Ouest]SetiOne
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 16 Feb 00
Posts: 18
Credit: 2,125,553
RAC: 519
France
Message 99637 - Posted: 16 Apr 2005, 15:06:33 UTC

Pour les francophones qui rencontrent des problèmes d'envoi de leur WU (tout type de projet BOINC) il s'agit en fait d'un problème chez Wanadoo et les filiales de FT (France Telecom) dont les IP sont bloquées par un intermédiaire US du nom de "Cogent", pourquoi ça l'histoire ne le dit pas.

Voyez les posts en français ici :

http://folding.mesdiscussions.net/forum2.php?config=foldinghome.inc&cat=3&post=723&position=15#t10787

http://www.ed2k.ch/modules/ipboard/index.php?showtopic=9884&s=78e8968b21372cf5108357052e481998

wait and see !
____________
********************
<img src="http://www.boincstats.com/signature/user_132726.gif" border="0">

Profile Tigher
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 18 Mar 04
Posts: 1547
Credit: 760,577
RAC: 0
United Kingdom
Message 99720 - Posted: 16 Apr 2005, 18:51:11 UTC
Last modified: 16 Apr 2005, 19:08:50 UTC

Bump. Does anyone know how to contact the seti team Technical People to report this problem please?
____________

Profile [AF>France>Ouest]SetiOne
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 16 Feb 00
Posts: 18
Credit: 2,125,553
RAC: 519
France
Message 99734 - Posted: 16 Apr 2005, 19:34:48 UTC - in response to Message 99720.

> Bump. Does anyone know how to contact the seti team Technical People to report
> this problem please?
>

Pour l'instant utilisez un proxy (paramètres dans Options) et indiquez par exemple 203.215.178.83 port 8080 et ç'est bon pour recevoir et envoyer des WU

For the moment use proxy setting with for exemple 203.215.178.83 on port 8080, it's OK for download and Up WU
____________
********************
<img src="http://www.boincstats.com/signature/user_132726.gif" border="0">

Profile Doris and Jens
Volunteer developer
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 21 Nov 99
Posts: 362
Credit: 1,052,980
RAC: 169
Germany
Message 99735 - Posted: 16 Apr 2005, 19:36:49 UTC - in response to Message 99720.

> Bump. Does anyone know how to contact the seti team Technical People to report
> this problem please?

I had send a mail to Matt Lebofsky yesterday, asking him about possible routing problems. I will add the last status.

It may be difficulty to get a quick result. The lab will have to consult several parties. And it is weekend now.

____________
Greetings from Bremen/Germany
Jens Seidler (TheBigJens)

Profile Tigher
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 18 Mar 04
Posts: 1547
Credit: 760,577
RAC: 0
United Kingdom
Message 99744 - Posted: 16 Apr 2005, 20:09:43 UTC - in response to Message 99735.

> > Bump. Does anyone know how to contact the seti team Technical People to
> report
> > this problem please?
>
> I had send a mail to Matt Lebofsky yesterday, asking him about possible
> routing problems. I will add the last status.
>
> It may be difficulty to get a quick result. The lab will have to consult
> several parties. And it is weekend now.
>
>
Ah OK I mailed David Anderson too but I dont think he is the right person really. Thanks for coming back.
____________

Pascal Le Bihan
Send message
Joined: 17 Jun 00
Posts: 1
Credit: 92,922,544
RAC: 75,936
France
Message 99778 - Posted: 16 Apr 2005, 23:00:49 UTC

It seems that relationships between FTelecom and Cogent are not peaceful.

According FTelecom, Cogent infringes Peering's policy rules well known from all net's main operators. Consequently FTelecom shuts down Peering's mechanisms with Cogent.

By return, Cogent accuses FTelecom and, since Apr,14th, blocks in a 'hole' all IP traffic issued for/from FTelecom specific adresses subsets, breaking links between their captive clients and FTelecom net's users.

Other french IP access providers, as Free for instance, are not affected.

"il semble que les relations entre France Télécom et Cogent ne soient pas au beau fixe et ce problème n'est peut-être pas qu'un simple désagrément technique : France Telecom a coupé le peering avec Cogent car celui-ci ne respectait pas 2 critères de la politique de peering de France Telecom, qui est officielle et publiée. Sur un réseau classique, une autre route vers les serveurs de folding@home aurait pu être trouvée, mais dans le cas de Cogent, cela n'a pas pu se faire.

Certaines sources indiquent que, suite à cette décision de France Telecom de ne plus s'interconnecter directement avec Cogent, ce dernier aurait complètement bloqué les visites provenant d'adresses IP appartenant à des utilisateurs de France Telecom ! Et en effet, selon France Telecom : "Par mesure de rétorsion, Cogent a établi un puits de trafic pour les adresses France Telecom, coupant les routes entre leurs clients monohomés et ceux de France Telecom. Cette mesure est en rupture avec les règles communément admises dans le communauté internet. France Telecom ne peut être responsable en face de ses clients des conséquences de l'action prise par Cogent qui en porte seul la responsabilité".

Du coté de Cogent, on accuse France Telecom." Site Présence PC
____________

Astro
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 16 Apr 02
Posts: 8026
Credit: 600,015
RAC: 0
Message 99788 - Posted: 16 Apr 2005, 23:17:45 UTC - in response to Message 99735.
Last modified: 16 Apr 2005, 23:26:06 UTC

> I had send a mail to Matt Lebofsky yesterday, asking him about possible
> routing problems. I will add the last status.
>
When Matt responded to the "Bug in the Stats file" issue, I believe he said he was "Just checking in before going on vacation" to a place he couldn't be reached.

tony

[edit] I found his statement:

Matt Lebofsky
Project developer

Joined: Mar 1, 1999
Posts: 105
ID: 122079
Posted: 14 Apr 2005 20:57:21 UTC

Aware of the problem? Yes. I personally haven't looked very much into it. I'm heading off on vacation shortly. This is the first time I'm looking at the message boards in a while - just checking in to see if there's anything I need to worry about before I'm unreachable.


1mp0£173
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 3 Apr 99
Posts: 8423
Credit: 356,897
RAC: 0
United States
Message 99813 - Posted: 17 Apr 2005, 0:01:57 UTC - in response to Message 99597.

> Im just thought I would summarise a few threads from the problem boards. Since
> Feb 14th a number of French, Dutch and Belgian BOINCERS have have had huge
> connection problems to UC Berkeley for SETI. There appears to be a routing
> issue somewhere in USA and probably within Cogentco.com network. For those
> interested there are trace routes and the like on the problem pages. I can
> provide more info if folk need to know. I have emailed cogentco.com and David
> Anderson (not sure where to bring these matters to Berkeley technical people -
> tell me if you know please). The problem manifests itself as a failure to
> connect to a scheduler and deferred comms. It never connects after that and
> some folk have waited over a month to contact a scheduler. Thought you might
> all want to know especially as new users switching from classic to BOINC now
> might get a bit disenchanted. All is known to be Ok so far in Sweden and UK so
> far.

I was doing a little bit of reading on the NANOG mailing list archive, and it confirms some things elsewhere on this thread.

The thread starts here.

Some background:

The term "internet" is a contraction from "inter-network" -- a set of protocols designed to tie two or more networks together.

At the highest levels (i.e. largest providers) networks "peer" -- they connect to each other so that traffic from their customers can reach the other network quickly.

... because, ultimately, whenever someone makes more internet connectivity, the connections they sell become more valuable, and they can sell more.

OpenTransit (France Telecom) has dropped all peering connections with Cogent.

So, anyone who connects through OpenTransit to get to Berkeley is having trouble, and if you are connected to another provider in one of the affected countries, you'll have no problems.
____________

[AF>France] isadem
Send message
Joined: 3 Apr 99
Posts: 6
Credit: 388,381
RAC: 1,227
France
Message 100079 - Posted: 17 Apr 2005, 6:07:40 UTC
Last modified: 17 Apr 2005, 6:13:03 UTC

Hum...

Actually, (and as far as I know) the reason why wanadoo users cannot connect to Berkeley's servers any more is that Cogent has blacklisted wanadoo ip addresses.

The route via vario/sprint is operational, as shown in the tracert of tigher, and according to the principle of internet itself.


____________

1mp0£173
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 3 Apr 99
Posts: 8423
Credit: 356,897
RAC: 0
United States
Message 100080 - Posted: 17 Apr 2005, 6:14:01 UTC - in response to Message 100079.

> Hum...
>
> Actually, the reason why wanadoo users cannot connect to Berkeley's servers
> any more is that Cogent has blacklisted wanadoo ip addresses.
>
> The route via vario/sprint is operational, as shown in the tracert of tigher,
> and according to the principle of internet itself.

I think at this level, "blacklist" is the wrong term. You can stop peering without blacklisting -- and the route through verio/sprint may not be symmetrical.

It is worth reading the thread on NANOG. I don't know who stopped peering with whom, but I tend to think that someone who reads NANOG knows what really happened.
____________

[AF>France] isadem
Send message
Joined: 3 Apr 99
Posts: 6
Credit: 388,381
RAC: 1,227
France
Message 100083 - Posted: 17 Apr 2005, 6:36:10 UTC - in response to Message 100080.

> > Hum...
> >
> > Actually, the reason why wanadoo users cannot connect to Berkeley's
> servers
> > any more is that Cogent has blacklisted wanadoo ip addresses.
> >
> > The route via vario/sprint is operational, as shown in the tracert of
> tigher,
> > and according to the principle of internet itself.
>
> I think at this level, "blacklist" is the wrong term. You can stop peering
> without blacklisting -- and the route through verio/sprint may not be
> symmetrical.
>
> It is worth reading the thread on NANOG. I don't know who stopped peering
> with whom, but I tend to think that someone who reads NANOG knows what really
> happened.
>

I agree with you it's not obvious to decide who stopped peering with whom.

The result is that we are taken hostage by our respective operators and that's not good for the project.

As a wanadoo user, I'm going to send a mail to France Telecom support.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure to have a worthwhile answer in return...

____________

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 . . . 13 · Next

Message boards : Number crunching : Network/Internet Routing problem to Berkeley from some of Europe

Copyright © 2014 University of California