BOINC.dk taking a short break this month


log in

Advanced search

Message boards : Number crunching : BOINC.dk taking a short break this month

Author Message
Janus
Volunteer developer
Send message
Joined: 4 Dec 01
Posts: 376
Credit: 967,976
RAC: 0
Denmark
Message 3404 - Posted: 2 Jul 2004, 9:12:03 UTC
Last modified: 2 Jul 2004, 9:13:51 UTC

Hi there all you crunching people!

I'm going away on my summerholiday very soon. Seing that seti@home hasn't exported any XML stats recently I'm going to shut down the script that is creating the signatures that some of you try to use for this site (wasn't really working well anyway).
Stats for Alpha and Beta (as well as signatures for that) will still be available from the usual places.

Submissions to the BOINC Download Network will be put on hold untill I return (also checking in of new signatures, but that has been on hold for some time already - will pick up on the new signatures when I return as well). You can of course still download add-ons from the network.

Half the serverpark running BOINC.dk will be shut off and preparations to move the rest to a new ISP has started. Once we reach August everything should be up and running again on a network twice as fast as the current one - so please don't panic (even if the site is down for an entire week or so by the end of this month). The half that was shut down will be reenabled by the 1st of August.

So now you know why everything is going to act a little strange now and then:
- I'm on vacation
- Half the serverpark is shut down
- The rest are being moved by the end of the month

Happy crunching!

Janus
Volunteer developer
Send message
Joined: 4 Dec 01
Posts: 376
Credit: 967,976
RAC: 0
Denmark
Message 3578 - Posted: 2 Jul 2004, 17:41:27 UTC - in response to Message 3404.
Last modified: 2 Jul 2004, 17:48:46 UTC

Forgot to mention when half of the servers would be shut down: now ;)

Profile D.J. Schweitz
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 29 Oct 02
Posts: 157
Credit: 871,078
RAC: 0
United States
Message 3593 - Posted: 3 Jul 2004, 4:00:11 UTC

Enjoy the time away Janus, you certainly deserve the break...:-)
<p>
[img]http://www.boinc.dk/auto.php?user=95011&project=sah&input=1071946756 - boincdk&layout=1071946756 - boincdk.jpg[/img]

Profile Richard M
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 24 May 99
Posts: 64
Credit: 265,847
RAC: 0
United States
Message 3693 - Posted: 3 Jul 2004, 14:08:17 UTC

Thanks for the update and all the work you've done for us Janus.
Have a nice vacation!
I hope most of us will still be here when you get back. ;-)

Richard

Janus
Volunteer developer
Send message
Joined: 4 Dec 01
Posts: 376
Credit: 967,976
RAC: 0
Denmark
Message 12330 - Posted: 25 Jul 2004, 11:39:31 UTC - in response to Message 3404.

> - The rest are being moved by the end of the month

Ok, now it's time to start the switch to the new server-room. The boinc.dk site will be down starting some time monday.
Expected downtime is 2 days.

We will install the newest version of the stats software on Aug. the 4th and start making stats from the seti@home project available by the 5th (if everything behaves...).

The new software and the improved network speed should speed up things very noticably.
The new version also has support for CPIDS so you can compare credits across beta and the live version of seti@home if you are registered in both.

Profile AthlonRob
Volunteer developer
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 18 May 99
Posts: 378
Credit: 7,041
RAC: 0
United States
Message 12349 - Posted: 25 Jul 2004, 17:22:01 UTC - in response to Message 12330.

> The new software and the improved network speed should speed up things very
> noticably.
> The new version also has support for CPIDS so you can compare credits across
> beta and the live version of seti@home if you are registered in both.

Sweet. :-)

What about Alpha and P@H, too? :-)

Rob

Janus
Volunteer developer
Send message
Joined: 4 Dec 01
Posts: 376
Credit: 967,976
RAC: 0
Denmark
Message 12830 - Posted: 27 Jul 2004, 18:50:04 UTC - in response to Message 12349.
Last modified: 27 Jul 2004, 18:51:33 UTC

> Sweet. :-)
> What about Alpha and P@H, too? :-)

It turned out to be much less painfull than expected - downtime was only around 4-5 hours.
I added stats for Predictor@home, and actually that is is only project with stable XML exports at the moment. I still expect the new software to be installed the 4th and stats from seti@home, alpha and beta to (hopefully) work around the 5th.
Along with the software updates will be an update to our list of officially available projects and translation of more of our website into english (mostly the project descriptions).

Already I can tell you that the double network speed really makes things run pretty fast. Also BOINC.dk is now no longer limited to that 5GB/month limit on the master servers - this will result in a couple of nice new features later ;)
The new connection will also enable us to bump up the quality setting of the JPG image signatures from 50% quality to around 70% quality. Support for the PNG format will also be added in the new software.

Profile D.J. Schweitz
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 29 Oct 02
Posts: 157
Credit: 871,078
RAC: 0
United States
Message 12839 - Posted: 27 Jul 2004, 20:45:18 UTC - in response to Message 12830.

Hey WELCOME back Janus, hope you had a great time :-)
<p>


Profile AthlonRob
Volunteer developer
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 18 May 99
Posts: 378
Credit: 7,041
RAC: 0
United States
Message 12840 - Posted: 27 Jul 2004, 20:48:37 UTC - in response to Message 12830.
Last modified: 27 Jul 2004, 20:49:53 UTC

> It turned out to be much less painfull than expected - downtime was only
> around 4-5 hours.

That's not bad at all. :-)

> I added stats for Predictor@home, and actually that is is only project with
> stable XML exports at the moment. I still expect the new software to be
> installed the 4th and stats from seti@home, alpha and beta to (hopefully) work
> around the 5th.

They're working on the XML stats... I keep bugging Rom about them ... every few hours, I think. Pretty soon he'll block me off entirely and call the cops.

> Along with the software updates will be an update to our list of officially
> available projects and translation of more of our website into english (mostly
> the project descriptions).

English would definitely be nice.

> Already I can tell you that the double network speed really makes things run
> pretty fast. Also BOINC.dk is now no longer limited to that 5GB/month limit on
> the master servers - this will result in a couple of nice new features later
> ;)

Whoa, you were limited to 5GB/month? That's crazy...

FWIW, I just bumped mine up to 20GB/month.

> The new connection will also enable us to bump up the quality setting of the
> JPG image signatures from 50% quality to around 70% quality. Support for the
> PNG format will also be added in the new software.

Cool - I had noticed the image quality was pretty bad with the boinc.dk sigs. Hopefully this will make a difference.

If only there were a way to get web browsers to cache the things for even just a half hour.... :-)

Rob

Profile Arenas
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 16 Jan 03
Posts: 30
Credit: 140,083
RAC: 0
Austria
Message 12841 - Posted: 27 Jul 2004, 20:50:56 UTC - in response to Message 3404.

happy summerholiday for JANUS

cu
</img>___mit freundlichen grĂ¼ssen___

Message boards : Number crunching : BOINC.dk taking a short break this month

Copyright © 2014 University of California