Which CPU is best for SETI? And what is the deciding factor?

Message boards : Number crunching : Which CPU is best for SETI? And what is the deciding factor?
Message board moderation

To post messages, you must log in.

Previous · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · Next

AuthorMessage
Profile Rom Walton (BOINC)
Volunteer tester
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 28 Apr 00
Posts: 579
Credit: 130,733
RAC: 0
United States
Message 87177 - Posted: 18 Mar 2005, 0:54:17 UTC - in response to Message 87168.  

> Now, if you used a motherboard that had ethernet, PXE and video on-board, you
> could probably cut the spacing down quite a bit, but that's definitely the
> idea.

Has anybody looked into putting something like this to work?

http://www.mini-itx.com/news/98402024/

I was thinking about buying and putting together a prototype to see what kind of performance one can get for one of these, it's single processor cousin is onlt $200 for mobo plus processor.

That plus a 40GB HD and it should be a pretty decent system for just crunching.

Get enough of them together and it would be like running a lab in a school.


----- Rom
BOINC Development Team, U.C. Berkeley
My Blog
ID: 87177 · Report as offensive
Hans Dorn
Volunteer developer
Volunteer tester
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 3 Apr 99
Posts: 2262
Credit: 26,448,570
RAC: 0
Germany
Message 87204 - Posted: 18 Mar 2005, 1:51:26 UTC - in response to Message 87177.  
Last modified: 18 Mar 2005, 1:59:18 UTC

>
> Has anybody looked into putting something like this to work?
>
> http://www.mini-itx.com/news/98402024/
>
> I was thinking about buying and putting together a prototype to see what kind
> of performance one can get for one of these, it's single processor cousin is
> onlt $200 for mobo plus processor.
>
> That plus a 40GB HD and it should be a pretty decent system for just
> crunching.
>
> Get enough of them together and it would be like running a lab in a school.
>

In a single word: DONT!

Just look at these WU completion times:

http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/results.php?hostid=442980

(one of mine ...)

I guess the C3's main problem is it's small cache (64KB)

You'd need 5 or 6 dual boards to beat a single P4.

Regards Hans


Edit:

Another problem is finding a matching power supply.
If you use a cheap 300W unit, you end up with the PSU burning more KWH
than the board. Small ATX PSUs are expensive and hard to find


ID: 87204 · Report as offensive
Profile Rom Walton (BOINC)
Volunteer tester
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 28 Apr 00
Posts: 579
Credit: 130,733
RAC: 0
United States
Message 87208 - Posted: 18 Mar 2005, 1:56:44 UTC

I did see a mini-itx system board that supported an Embedded Mobile Intel Pentium 4-M.

http://www.tcommate.com.tw/cmb-670.htm

----- Rom
BOINC Development Team, U.C. Berkeley
My Blog
ID: 87208 · Report as offensive
Profile Razorirr
Volunteer tester

Send message
Joined: 3 Apr 99
Posts: 92
Credit: 7,414
RAC: 0
United States
Message 87217 - Posted: 18 Mar 2005, 2:13:37 UTC

<a>www.cray.com[/url] for the rather wealthy.
~boinc its not the credit or satisfaction its the screensavers~
S@h Berkeley's Staff Friends Club ©members
ID: 87217 · Report as offensive
Hans Dorn
Volunteer developer
Volunteer tester
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 3 Apr 99
Posts: 2262
Credit: 26,448,570
RAC: 0
Germany
Message 87222 - Posted: 18 Mar 2005, 2:22:47 UTC - in response to Message 87217.  

> <a>www.cray.com[/url] for the rather wealthy.
>

Yep, it's a pity there is no UNICOS client for seti.
I bet we'd see some changes in the "top computers" stats :o)

Regards Hans
ID: 87222 · Report as offensive
Profile Skip Da Shu
Volunteer tester
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 28 Jun 04
Posts: 233
Credit: 431,047
RAC: 0
Message 87232 - Posted: 18 Mar 2005, 2:43:46 UTC

Here's the thread that got me started with the "basket" computers... dated Feb 2004 I think. I use stackable plastic baskets and used 180~250w PSUs from the local Goodwill used computer store. First 2 I built were Gigabyte mobos (7VM400M-RZ) that have everything onboard and OEM XP2000+ cpu's (I was in China at the time and could buy the mobo and CPU for well under $99US). Now days I scrounge around for used stuff.

http://us-distributed.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=468&sid=eaf192e0300b0725be3c936f44bd31ab


- da shu @ HeliOS,
"A child's exposure to technology should never be predicated on an ability to afford it."
ID: 87232 · Report as offensive
Profile Rom Walton (BOINC)
Volunteer tester
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 28 Apr 00
Posts: 579
Credit: 130,733
RAC: 0
United States
Message 87279 - Posted: 18 Mar 2005, 3:46:17 UTC

Well, I finally took the plunge, and purchased a Travla C158-120W, with 256MB Ram, and 40GB HD.

From:

http://www.caseoutlet.com/shopexd.asp?id=345

It came out to $414.

Now I don't know if that comes with the processor or not, for some reason I think that is a little light to include the processor.

Guess I'm going to find out about this whole farming thing after all.

----- Rom
BOINC Development Team, U.C. Berkeley
My Blog
ID: 87279 · Report as offensive
Profile Venus & Mars
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 15 Jan 04
Posts: 56
Credit: 403,416
RAC: 0
United States
Message 87288 - Posted: 18 Mar 2005, 3:57:15 UTC - in response to Message 87006.  

> > The pentium M's would be my current favourite . I have a 1.6 running at
> 2.6
> > that seems to average a boinc seti wu in approx 1hr 20mins , whilst only
> using
> > 70 watts and running cool and quiet into the bargain.
>
> I have a 1.8 Mobile P4 running at 2.5ghz, currently taking 3 to 3 1/2 hours
> per seti boinc WU.
> What OS you running????

Gonad, You are running a overclocked 1.8 Mobile P4 at 2.5ghz, Shady is running a 1.6 Pentium M overclocked at 2.6.

There is a fairly large difference between a Mobile Pentium 4 and a Pentium M. The Pentium M REPLACED the Mobile Pentium 4. Its far more efficient per Ghz and power consumed. One could make an analogy that Pentium M is to Mobile Pentium 4 as AMD 64 is to Prescott.

<br>
Mars <br>
<img src='http://www.boincstats.com/stats/banner.php?cpid=7d22d5f982e9096d95fa085d6ee2c1bc'>
ID: 87288 · Report as offensive
Profile Byron Leigh Hatch @ team Carl Sagan
Volunteer tester
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 5 Jul 99
Posts: 4548
Credit: 35,667,570
RAC: 4
Canada
Message 87293 - Posted: 18 Mar 2005, 4:00:46 UTC - in response to Message 87279.  
Last modified: 18 Mar 2005, 4:49:36 UTC

Hi Rom , way to go , sound like very nice equipment ___ :)__ enjoy !!

My Very Best wishes to everyone ......... and keep on crunching :)
friendly and respectful
byron ... [/url] _ Earth Flag
<B>S@h _ Berkeley's Staff Friends Club member m2 ©[/b]
ID: 87293 · Report as offensive
Profile Razorirr
Volunteer tester

Send message
Joined: 3 Apr 99
Posts: 92
Credit: 7,414
RAC: 0
United States
Message 87299 - Posted: 18 Mar 2005, 4:09:15 UTC

sorry hans dont know if that one can run them the xd1 can
from one of my posts at cpdn today,"its predecessor," ( the xd1) "has a price tag of 100,000 USD. ran lhc units in 2.5 seconds. dont know how fast this one," (one in the link), "is on average but the highest run was 18 giga flops."
~boinc its not the credit or satisfaction its the screensavers~
S@h Berkeley's Staff Friends Club ©members
ID: 87299 · Report as offensive
Profile mikey
Volunteer tester
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 17 Dec 99
Posts: 4215
Credit: 3,474,603
RAC: 0
United States
Message 87300 - Posted: 18 Mar 2005, 4:09:51 UTC - in response to Message 87279.  
Last modified: 18 Mar 2005, 4:10:22 UTC

> Well, I finally took the plunge, and purchased a Travla C158-120W, with 256MB
> Ram, and 40GB HD.
>
> From:
>
> http://www.caseoutlet.com/shopexd.asp?id=345
>
> It came out to $414.
>
> Now I don't know if that comes with the processor or not, for some reason I
> think that is a little light to include the processor.
>
> Guess I'm going to find out about this whole farming thing after all.
>
Whoaaaa..when you do soemthing, you REALLY do it don't you!
I have a bunch of machines, around 20 for both Classic and Boinc, and have never spent that much! Think PARTS! Parts is parts, kind of like Chicken McNuggets, parts is parts! I just recently replaced a 700mhz and an 800mhz system with 2 AMD 2900+ systems. I bought 2 motherboards, cpus, fans and memory and swapped parts. Cost less than $250.00US TOTAL!!! Now to be honest they are NOT the small form factor, but they work just fine.

Keeps the basement warm and I have learned all about how to network! I now know about bridges, access points, routers, wireless and wired mixing of units, fun stuff!

ID: 87300 · Report as offensive
Profile Rom Walton (BOINC)
Volunteer tester
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 28 Apr 00
Posts: 579
Credit: 130,733
RAC: 0
United States
Message 87310 - Posted: 18 Mar 2005, 4:24:50 UTC - in response to Message 87300.  
Last modified: 18 Mar 2005, 4:30:19 UTC

> Whoaaaa..when you do soemthing, you REALLY do it don't you!
> I have a bunch of machines, around 20 for both Classic and Boinc, and have
> never spent that much! Think PARTS! Parts is parts, kind of like Chicken
> McNuggets, parts is parts! I just recently replaced a 700mhz and an 800mhz
> system with 2 AMD 2900+ systems. I bought 2 motherboards, cpus, fans and
> memory and swapped parts. Cost less than $250.00US TOTAL!!! Now to be honest
> they are NOT the small form factor, but they work just fine.
>
> Keeps the basement warm and I have learned all about how to network! I now
> know about bridges, access points, routers, wireless and wired mixing of
> units, fun stuff!

Well if it were a real PC, I would always be upgrading something about it.

This way, it is almost like a notebook, the number of upgrades is limited, only one PCI slot.

I also don't currently have any farm based infrastructure, so I'm skipping the whole process of buying a power supply, networking cables, net cards, and anything else that might be needed, but not part of a mobo and processor swap.

I have most of the basic networking infrastructure since I already have five computers which are all geared toward developing BOINC, but this will be the first special purpose machine I will have purchased though.

----- Rom
BOINC Development Team, U.C. Berkeley
My Blog
ID: 87310 · Report as offensive
1mp0£173
Volunteer tester

Send message
Joined: 3 Apr 99
Posts: 8423
Credit: 356,897
RAC: 0
United States
Message 87319 - Posted: 18 Mar 2005, 5:42:06 UTC - in response to Message 87177.  

> Has anybody looked into putting something like this to work?
>
> http://www.mini-itx.com/news/98402024/

I really like the VIA C3 processor and I use them wherever possible.

Trouble is, the floating point performance is quite bad.

They make very nice, very low power servers and servers don't do much floating point.
ID: 87319 · Report as offensive
Jaker

Send message
Joined: 17 Feb 05
Posts: 10
Credit: 17,692
RAC: 0
United States
Message 87325 - Posted: 18 Mar 2005, 6:54:36 UTC

Get a Good Alpha Server

Advantages=FAst AS Heck!
Disadvantages = hard to find and not always cheap

ID: 87325 · Report as offensive
Profile Borgholio
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 2 Aug 99
Posts: 653
Credit: 18,623,738
RAC: 45
United States
Message 87326 - Posted: 18 Mar 2005, 7:18:38 UTC - in response to Message 87300.  


>
> Keeps the basement warm and I have learned all about how to network! I now
> know about bridges, access points, routers, wireless and wired mixing of
> units, fun stuff!
>
>

Seti@home was the sole reason why I learned how to network. :)


You will be assimilated...bunghole!

ID: 87326 · Report as offensive
Profile rattelschneck
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 14 Apr 01
Posts: 435
Credit: 842,179
RAC: 0
Germany
Message 87327 - Posted: 18 Mar 2005, 7:27:27 UTC - in response to Message 87168.  

> Now, if you used a motherboard that had ethernet, PXE and video on-board, you
> could probably cut the spacing down quite a bit, but that's definitely the
> idea.
>
As I said already, it's a proof of concept. Since the whole system runs really nicely, I can now make plans for a stack with higher density using actual hardware (including LAN onboard). The spacing could be cut down from 10 cm (network card is most space consuming) to maybe 6 cm.
Anyway, most of the time I took into this project has been spent on optimising the operating system. Cause all stacknodes do their crunchin' in a ramdisk, a proper backup mechanism has to be taken into place. There are scripts running from cronjobs which will do this hourly. I don't want to loose any wu because of breaker blew or such ;)
ID: 87327 · Report as offensive
Profile rattelschneck
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 14 Apr 01
Posts: 435
Credit: 842,179
RAC: 0
Germany
Message 87329 - Posted: 18 Mar 2005, 7:33:50 UTC - in response to Message 87325.  

> Get a Good Alpha Server
>
> Advantages=FAst AS Heck!
> Disadvantages = hard to find and not always cheap
>
>

Do you have one in place? I guess an alpha could do the job pretty well because of the 64 bit risc architecture and the huge 4 MB 2nd level cache. Would be very interested in this. Any details would be very much appreciated.
ID: 87329 · Report as offensive
Profile spacemeat
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 4 Oct 99
Posts: 239
Credit: 8,425,288
RAC: 0
United States
Message 87518 - Posted: 18 Mar 2005, 18:55:47 UTC - in response to Message 87329.  

> > Get a Good Alpha Server
> >
> > Advantages=FAst AS Heck!
> > Disadvantages = hard to find and not always cheap
> >
> >
>
> Do you have one in place? I guess an alpha could do the job pretty well
> because of the 64 bit risc architecture and the huge 4 MB 2nd level cache.
> Would be very interested in this. Any details would be very much appreciated.
>

my alpha isnt fast. took 2 hours to unzip a 17MB tarball. hasnt finished its first WU yet. then again, it is 13 years old
ID: 87518 · Report as offensive
Profile Gonad the Destroyer®©™
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 6 Aug 99
Posts: 204
Credit: 12,463,705
RAC: 0
United States
Message 87521 - Posted: 18 Mar 2005, 19:02:28 UTC - in response to Message 87288.  

> > > The pentium M's would be my current favourite . I have a 1.6 running
> at
> > 2.6
> > > that seems to average a boinc seti wu in approx 1hr 20mins , whilst
> only
> > using
> > > 70 watts and running cool and quiet into the bargain.
> >
> > I have a 1.8 Mobile P4 running at 2.5ghz, currently taking 3 to 3 1/2
> hours
> > per seti boinc WU.
> > What OS you running????
>
> Gonad, You are running a overclocked 1.8 Mobile P4 at 2.5ghz, Shady is running
> a 1.6 Pentium M overclocked at 2.6.
>
> There is a fairly large difference between a Mobile Pentium 4 and a Pentium M.
> The Pentium M REPLACED the Mobile Pentium 4. Its far more efficient per Ghz
> and power consumed. One could make an analogy that Pentium M is to Mobile
> Pentium 4 as AMD 64 is to Prescott.
>
>


Ok, thanks for clearing that up......heh
I thought there might be something wrong with mine....:D
ID: 87521 · Report as offensive
Profile rattelschneck
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 14 Apr 01
Posts: 435
Credit: 842,179
RAC: 0
Germany
Message 87527 - Posted: 18 Mar 2005, 19:14:57 UTC - in response to Message 87518.  

> my alpha isnt fast. took 2 hours to unzip a 17MB tarball. hasnt finished its
> first WU yet. then again, it is 13 years old
>
There are several type of alpha cpu's out there. If yours is a 21064 then it's maybe not that fast. But if we are talking about EV6 core alphas, the situation is slightly different ;)

ID: 87527 · Report as offensive
Previous · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · Next

Message boards : Number crunching : Which CPU is best for SETI? And what is the deciding factor?


 
©2020 University of California
 
SETI@home and Astropulse are funded by grants from the National Science Foundation, NASA, and donations from SETI@home volunteers. AstroPulse is funded in part by the NSF through grant AST-0307956.