Joined: 16 Jun 99
In early 2018, I started this thread about my difficulties with long Seti@Home compute times after I upgraded my PC to Debian 9; work units would start out making good progress, but asymptotically approach 100% complete, and eventually time out after a couple of days. The end result was that I had to run Seti@Home inside a qemu VM with Debian 7 to get work units to complete.
That was my setup from spring 2018 until a couple of weeks ago. The motherboard in my PC failed (it had an AMD Athlon 64 x2, 3.2 GHz, dual core CPU), so I moved the hard drives over to another PC - an old Dell with an Intel Core 2 Duo E7500, 2.93 GHz. I didn't reinstall Debian; I was using the same installation I had on the AMD PC. Seti@Home in the Debian 7 VM still worked correctly with the Intel CPU.
On a whim, I decided to try Seti@Home again "natively" under Debian 9. It works just fine! It has done several work units - a variety of "plain" _0 or _1, "vlar" _vlar_1 or _vlar_2, and blc/guppi work units - and they all complete in a few hours and otherwise behave normally.
I still don't know why the Debian 9 / AMD CPU combination didn't work correctly for me. I also know that Debian 10 is out now, which possibly makes this mystery not very interesting. But I figured I'd note what I saw.
©2020 University of California
SETI@home and Astropulse are funded by grants from the National Science Foundation, NASA, and donations from SETI@home volunteers. AstroPulse is funded in part by the NSF through grant AST-0307956.